Tuesday 5 March 2013

Thing 14: Delicious

I first heard of Delicious when as a postgraduate student it was recommended to me by a lovely Liaison Librarian from WSA. After discovering what it had to offer I did try and factor it into my research 'toolkit,' however, I never really got to grips with it and just eventually stopped logging in. Returning to it now, I don't initially see any major improvements, and certainly logging in proved to be challenging (although I think this was down to a browser compatibility issue). As I have no academic project on the go, and couldn't get into my old account I decided to just pick a topic and see what I could find. It may not be any surprise to know that this ended up being Scandinavian related! Below is a screen shot of my home page which does look nice and organised with a three column layout featuring my tags, links and comments from other Delicious users. 


What surprised me was that as I got into the process of adding links, creating tags and building tag bundles, I became increasingly taken with Delicious. It was easy to find what I was looking for and and although I currently use Bloglovin to follow my favourite blogs, which works well for me, I have to use bookmarks to save other sites I want to revisit. With Delicious I can save everything in one place. It is not the most aesthetically pleasing site, but at least it is easy to navigate and looks 'clean,' (unlike Netvibes).

So from initial annoyance (logging in), to feeling unispired and unsure as to what Delicious could offer me, I know find myself wanting to explore it further. My conclusion then? A (tentative) thumbs up for Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Reading your post has convinced me to spend a bit more time on Delicious so I can evaluate it properly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear! When I started writing this post I dived back into Delicious and was surprised to found that I actually quite liked it. Maybe you will feel the same so definitely worth revisiting.

    ReplyDelete